Poultry farming started its dynamic development
in the early '50s thanks to the efforts of the pioneers in
the field in Greece, it now covers more than 35% of the poultry
meat production as well as of eggs (destined to both consumption
and incubation) and chicks.
Today the most important Greek companies- weather privately
owned or cooperatives- in the sector operate in Ioannina.
These enterprises employ more than 800 people and cooperate
with more than 700 poultry farmers, creating a very strong
economic network in the region, but also in the Greek economy
as a whole.
The egg-producing poultry farming should be mentioned in particular
as the numerous modern units established in the ragion cover
5% of the overall Greek production.
The genuine products of Ioannina enterprices, through their
well organizeddistribution network and local branch offices,
reach out on a daily basis all of Greece as well as foreign
markets. The local industry includes:
· Poultry farms covering many thousands og square meters,
· Incubators yielding more than 30 million chicks per year,
· Fodder production units with a capacity of more than 150,00
tons final product per year,
· Poultry farming with a slaughter capacity of 15,000 birds
· Production units of 40-50 million eggs per year,
· Byproduct processing units and units producing precooked